Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Howden Ready for World Jr Camp


Tonight could be the final game for Moose Jaw Warriors Quinton Howden for who knows how long.

Howden leaves Saturday for Calgary, and will join 40 other players on the ice at Hockey Canada's World Junior Selection Camp.

"I have the experience for last year and it's kind of a revenge year, Canada wants the gold back. I'm excited to get to camp and prove that I deserve a spot and again and go for gold."

Howden is one of three returning players from last year's team who will be looking erase the memories of last year's third period melt down to Russia in the championship game.

"Obviously it was heartbreaking last year from what they did to us," said Howden. "It's exciting, it's a new year, only three returnees so it'll be a whole new team. It'll be exciting and something I can't wait to come, I'm excited for Christmas time to roll around."

The Oakbank, Manitoba product cracked the roster last year as an 18 year old, and this time around he feels being a veteran and a versatile player will help his chances.

"I can play any position. I can play a physical checking role if need be, or I can play an offensive role," Howden said. "Whatever they need out of me, whatever I have to do, I want to win gold and that's my goal."

The four year Warrior worked his way up Canada's depth chart last year at the tournament, and this time around he says he wants to work towards playing a bigger role if he makes the team.

"As a kid you lay in bed dreaming of those big goals and assists. You can go back and ask any alumni, you'll do whatever it takes. For me, I want to prove that I deserve to be there again. If I get the chance to make the team I don't care where they put me, I'll play as hard as I can and do whatever I can to help the team be successful."

In total the WHL is sending 16 players to the selection camp this week, notable among them include former AAA Warrior Ryan Murray, Brandon's Mark Stone and Michael Ferland, and Prince Albert's Mark McNeill. Vancouver Giants coach Don Hay is the teams Head Coach, he lead Canada to a gold medal back in 1995 when the tournament was held in Alberta.

Players will arrive in Calgary Saturday and skate later in the day. Sunday and Monday they'll practice in the morning and then have an intrasquad game at night, on Tuesday they'll take on a team of CIS All Stars from the area.

Hockey Canada is expected to announce their roster the morning of the 14th. Pre competition games start for Canada on the 19th, they'll open the tournament Boxing Day against Finland.

Country 100 is once again the home of the World Junior Hockey Championships in southern Saskatchewan. Catch all of Canada's games as they look to return to the top of the World Junior mountain and end their streak of two straight silvers.

Camp starts tomorrow in Calgary, the roster announcement is expected on the 14th.

Country 100's coverage of the World Junior Hockey Championships starts Boxing Day when Canada takes on Finland.

Country 100's World Junior broadcast schedule, all times local;
Monday December 26th - 2:00 p.m. vs. Finland
* Wednesday December 28th - 6:30 p.m. vs. Czech Republic
Thursday December 29th - 6:30 p.m. vs. Denmark
Saturday December 31st - 6:30 p.m. vs. USA
** Quarter Finals - Monday January 2nd - 7:30 p.m.
*** Semi-Finals - Tuesday January 3rd - 3:30 p.m. AND 7:30 p.m.
Bronze Medal Game - Thursday January 5th - 23:00 p.m.
Gold Medal Game - Thursday January 5th - 6:30 p.m.

* December 28th game will not be heard due to a conflict with a Warrior broadcast

** Quarter finals will not be broadcast unless Canada is playing

*** If Canada makes the semi final's, they will be the late game

No comments:

Post a Comment