Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Howden Reaches Milestone

Saturday night when the Moose Jaw Warriors took on Swift Current, it was a milestone night for forward Quinton Howden. It marked the 200th time during the regular season that he's pulled on a Warriors jersey.

Howden reflected on the milestone, saying that 200 games was something he couldn't have imagined when he started his WHL career. "I remember coming into the league at 16 not knowing how many games I would get in and wanting to prove myself."

"Still to this day being 19, you still want to prove yourself and do the right things for the team. It's an honour to reach that and hopefully it continues on."

The Warriors made a huge trade back in the spring of 2007, moving up the morning of the WHL Bantam Draft to select Howden first overall. Wearing #92, the Oakbank, Manitoba product played in his first game on January 2nd, 2008 when he was an AP call up on the Warriors U.S. Division road trip.

Howden remembers what it was like to play that night, and how he's changed over the years. "I remember when I was younger I was nervous and you had to learn the league playing against big guys. Every new rink was a new experience."

"It's different now that I'm older. I have a lot more confidence and know a lot more. I have more confidence and am a leader on this team now so I have to try and help the young guys out because I was in there shoes a couple years ago."

Howden says that all coaches that he's had the pleasure of playing for have impacting his career, going back to his minor hockey days to the Warriors and his numerous stints with Hockey Canada.

He also says that a number of former players have left their mark on him, including former captain Jason Bast, who is the clubs all time leader in games played. "He was someone I looked up to, he has the record for games played with the Warriors, and it's great honour for me to be able to follow someone like that, it means a lot to me."

So far this season, Howden has seven goals and 11 points in eight games. In his career, he was 88 goals and 185 points. The next milestone for the Warrior is assists, he goes into this weekend three shy of 100.

Here's a list of over Warrior milestones coming up...
Kendall McFaull; four games shy of 150 and 46 penalty minutes shy of 200
Dallas Ehrhardt; one game shy of 100 for his career
Dylan McIlrath; nine games shy of 200 and 45 penalty minutes shy of 500
Cody Beach; three games shy of 125 and 49 penalty minutes shy of 500
Sebastian Svendsen; two games shy of 150
Brett Lyon; 10 penalty minutes shy of 500
Jordan Wyton; eight games shy of 100
Kenton Miller; nine games shy of 200

No comments:

Post a Comment