Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Back From Germany; Checking in with Morgan Rielly

Morgan Rielly is back in BC after a long flight from Germany.  Morgan was part of Team Canada's best Under 18 year old players.  Playing in his rookie year in the WHL and just 17, Morgan's invite was only one of three to seventeen year old players. 

Team Canada found some success over seas, but ultimately finished in fourth place with a loss first to the USA for a spot in the gold medal game and a 4-2 decision to the Russians for bronze. 

Morgan Rielly said the overall experience was second to none. "I had an unbelievable experience, the hockey was great and I had a blast meeting all the guys and being able to tour around the city of Dresden was really cool," remarked Rielly. 

Morgan got to play along side some of the best young players and some closely watched potential NHL draftees in the coming years.  "Being able to play with all those elite players was awesome; their all so talented and they make the game easy to play.  I had the opportunity to get to know Ryan Murray really well and I learned a lot from him, "added Morgan.

Maybe not the finish they were hoping for, but individually being named player of the game is quite an accomplishment for Morgan in a tight game against the tournament hosts.  What was he thinking going into the game?  "I just tried to stay focused and I knew that when I got a chance to make a difference in the game I had to do so.  I have to give credit to other players because we all battled back and it was a great effort by the whole squad," said Rielly.

Morgan mentioned the best event the team took in while in Germany besides the tournament was watching a European pro- hockey game.  What was the best German cuisine?  "We had these dumplings all the time-- they were my favorite," he added. 

Now its back to high school for Morgan as he prepares over the summer for Warriors camp and his second season in the WHL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment